Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Game Review - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

Hello Readers-

I thought it might be a good way to take up new space by reviewing a game that I just finished. I figure that it would be a good way to start off this blog :D So let's get started, shall we?

~Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep~
Before I begin, I had high hopes for this game. I mean the last KH game, 358/2 Days sucked. So I was hoping that Square Enix and Disney could win me over with this little gem. 

The game starts out with three characters- Ventus, Aqua, and Terra. You choose one character at a time to play through, each having their own story line that the other characters aren't always involved in. This excited me, I wanted to see which different worlds I would be going to with each different character. So, you choose your character, and you begin the game. You also learn that the Darkness is threatening the worlds, and as Keyblade Masters you have to travel the Lanes Between to save them. Your Master, Master Eraqus, is told by Master Yen Sid that the worlds are fading and blinking out because of a threat called the "Unversed" (These fuckers are created with jealousy and anger).
One of the many copies of the Unversed

At this point, I'm figuring that the controls would be easy. Not really. I mean they were chunky, I'd find myself running and get stuck on walls and things of that nature. The graphics were what I suspected from a Kingdom Hearts game- PS2 standard quality. They were gritty and not at all pretty to look at. I didn't find myself in awe of anything except maybe the Sleeping Beauty world, where I saw square trees that made me laugh. They also have this part of the combat system called "D-link." You can choose to use the powers of characters you've "Forged a D-link" with, but the problem is it's hard when you're using the control stick to move forwards and you have to push right on the Dpad to get a link, then you have to scroll through and push triangle. Same with spells- Aqua was not worth shit unless I used her spells. and half the time, I'd have to line my spell up first before a big fight, if I wanted to use it. 

The way I started it was Terra, Ventus, and Aqua- The way the game suggests you do. Terra's run was a lot of fun, because it was the first run- There was new and exciting things to see at each turn, disappointments on how I have to visit Olympian Colosseum again. To fight Hades AGAIN. There were some really tough fights on Terra's run- Brig and Xehanort at the end took me endless tries. I would come home after work, start up from where I let the PSP idle the night before and try fighting them another 5 times. It was seriously a pain in the ass.

 I then got to Ventus' run. It was alright, I was very sad that I had to just follow Terra's story through the same worlds in different order. I did however get to interact with more people- Like King Mickey (Who I wanted to kill half the time) and even some of Organization XIII, like Axel before he became a Nobody. It was interesting to see Organization XIII, but it seems like their stories were just thrown in there so no one forgot about them- Even though they don't exist anymore after KH2. Seriously. They did nothing for the story but make me stop, and listen to them talk about their stupid lives. The fights on this run were way too easy, I mean. I only needed maybe 2 tries when I first see Venitas.

Aqua's run was kinda fun, but not as fun as Terra's. By this time, I was just annoyed with having to follow Terra again through the same worlds. Seriously, how many times can the characters repeat themselves? It's not like the worlds changed, they were just on Repeat three times. But I did take the time through Aqua's run to collect stupid stickers, open all the chests I could find, kill as many Unversed as I could, and all that bullshit. Her fights were too easy. It was like Brig took it easy on her because she was female. Though it did make my day when Hades called her his "Li'l Blue Bird." and Phil called her "Sugarcakes." I suppose that's why we having had female characters in the worlds until this point hmm....


I know Xehanort, you are just dying to know how I scored your evil deeds on poor, long eyelashed, melodramatic children. Hold on, I'm getting there. To be honest, the game left me wanting more, and not in a good way, more like "WHY THE FUCK DID I WASTE 40 BUCKS ON THIS FUCKIN' GAME." Xehanort reminded me of a rapist, I wanted to punch Aqua in her bitchmouth, and I never wanna race Pete in tights again. Or throw Ice Cream to the beat of It's a Small World. 

All in all I give it a 2 out of 5. Don't waste your money- wait for it to come down in price, or rent it from Gamefly.

That's all for now, kittens!
-Reb

No comments:

Post a Comment